[lit-ideas] 'Fish' = 'Sex'? iPhone Can't Understand -- Or Can't It

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 15:57:31 EST

In a message dated 3/4/2009 3:39:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
When a Scottish user said 'iPhone,' the  software thought he
said 'sex.'
-----

I don't think  it was as easy as that. It was my idea:

JOURNALIST. There have been reports that
      the voice-recognition software isa  failure.
GEARY. In what sense.
JOURNALIST. It seems to work for American accents only.
GEARY. So?
JOURNALIST. Well, it is reported that when a Scottish
     user said 'iPhone' the softwre thought he said  'sex'.
GEARY. _She_ said sex. We have it all on tape. She was naked too.
     (As we say in our business, the funniest thing to  do with your
     clothes off is not orgasm, is surf).
JOURNALIST. But he did say 'sex'.
GEARY. No. He did say 'iPhone', in Scots. Not everybody
    knows that the cluster should be pronounced /i ph  owwne/
JOURNALIST. You don't ascribe it to a failure in the system?
GEARY. No.  There is no _transcription_ involved. The woman
     said _something_. She did say, in her view,  'iPhone'. What
     our software did was what in the business of  cognitive
     science call 'mindreading'. The software actually  literally
     read her mind, and offered what she desired: a  link to a
     porno website. No lexeme 'sex' was involved,  as none
     was uttered.
JOURNALIST. And what do you make of this user from Surrey,
     south of London, who had his request mistaken  for “myspace”
GEARY. Same thing: mind-reading.
JOURNALIST. And why “Einstein” was the option offered for
     “iPhone” spoken with a Kent accent.
GEARY. Oh, you tire me -- the whole lot of ya. Journalists. Always
     focusing on the negative. It's _not_ all  schadenfreude, you know.
     What about ...
JOURNALIST. What about you?
GEARY. What about this user from Yorkshire. Why is so little
      coverage of having his request correctly  understood?
JOURNALIST. But was offered “bonfire.” In Maidstone, I read:
       “I asked it to find my nearest pizza  take away and it came
       back with something about  volcanoes"
GEARY (no comment)
JOURNALIST: “I asked it to find my nearest pub and it gave me
        a link to some kind of weird  dating website."
GEARY. Again, iPhone uses what we call a Gricean-Device. It
       works by subliminal intentions. It  _transcends_ the contingencies
       of human-human communication. It goes  beyond. It goes
       well, mighty well, beyond.

Cheers,

JL
steps!