[lit-ideas] Re: Feminism's Failed Agenda?

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 18:17:56 -0500

 Hi,
Hm....speaking of Feminism...was that article a reaction to International
Women's Day?

In any case, here's an interesting article about Feminism.

Sure--when one in three women worldwide has been beaten or coerced into sex (I
remember my friend who had six kids in her first marriage--each conceived in
rape. When she finally got the guts to leave and then married again...she got
pregnant. A baby was not in the 'plan'--so they were going to abort it. Her
husband (we're still great friends) came in, saw her sitting staring into space
and said "You don't want to do this, do you?"  She looked at him and softly
said "This one was the only one conceived in love"  Needless to say, she didn't
have the abortion. Now, ironically--after having six kids, she ended up dying
in childbirth--but hey. That isn't the point...<g> But it is who I always think
about when I see anything about this subject...)

Best,
Marlena in Missouri

International Womens Day 2006

 71% of UK women are not feminists, new WOMANKIND Worldwide poll reveals on
International Women's Day

71% of UK women say they do not consider themselves feminists, according to a
new poll commissioned by international women's rights organisation WOMANKIND
Worldwide.  Wednesday March 8th is International Women's Day; an opportunity
to bring to light ongoing inequality and disregard of women's human rights.

Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury and death for women.  One in
three women worldwide has been beaten, coerced into sex, or abused in some
other way (Source: Amnesty; see notes to eds)
A quarter of women in the UK will experience an act of domestic violence at
some point in their lifetimes (Source: Mirrlees-Black; see notes to eds)
Every day 6,000 girls undergo female genital mutilation (Source: Equality Now;
see notes to eds)
Two thirds of the world's illiterate people are women (Source: UNESCO; see
notes to eds)
70% of people living in extreme poverty (on less than $1 a day) are women
(Source: Oxfam; see notes to eds)
Only 15% of the world's parliamentary seats are held by women (Source:
Inter-Parliamentary Union; see notes to eds)
Maggie Baxter, Executive Director of WOMANKIND Worldwide, said:

"We commissioned this poll to highlight that although many in the UK feel that
equality for women has been achieved, shocking injustices remain here and
throughout the world.  Over 98% of Somali women have undergone female genital
mutilation; 80% of Afghan women are illiterate, and in Ghana there is no law to
protect women from domestic violence."

WOMANKIND Worldwide is a UK charity which works in the UK and developing
countries around the world to improve women's lives and promote women's
rights.  For more information, see www.womankind.org.uk.  Case studies are
available.

For further information, case studies & photos, contact Amy Pratt,
Communications & Information Manager.  Direct line: 020 7549 0383.  Mobile:
07946 527 059

Notes to editors

Poll details

NOP Gfk polled 523 women aged 15+ by telephone between 17th and 19th Februrary
2006.  Respondents were selected by random digit dialling.  Quota controls
were set by sex, age, social class and region to ensure that the sample was
nationally representative of adults in telephone owning households in the UK.

Respondents were asked: "Do you consider yourself a feminist, or not?".  68%
answered "No"; 3% answered "Don't know"; 29% answered "Yes".

Where WOMANKIND works

Africa: Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Somalia, Somaliland, South Africa,
Sudan, Zimbabwe
Asia: Afghanistan, India
Central & South America: Bolivia, Nicaragua, Peru
Europe: Albania, UK

WOMANKIND's aims

.    To advance women's status and wellbeing through increasing their
political and civil participation
.    To reduce violence against women
.    To inform and influence policy and practice at local, national,
regional and international levels

Sources for statistics

Domestic violence (Source: Amnesty
http://www.amnesty.org.uk/svaw/vaw/global.shtml#global and Mirrlees-Black,
Domestic Violence: Findings from a new British Crime Survey: Self-completion
Questionnaire, England & Wales, 1999)
Female genital mutilation (Source: Equality Now
http://www.equalitynow.org/english/campaigns/fgm/fgm-campaign_en.html)
Illiteracy (Source: UNESCO
http://portal.unesco.org/education/en/ev.php-URL_ID=44167&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

Poverty (Oxfam http://www.oxfam.org.au/world/gender/)
Parliamentary seats (Source: Inter-Parliamentary Union
http://www.ipu.org/wmn-e/world.htm)
WOMANKIND Worldwide, 2nd Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London
EC2A 4JX | Telephone +44 (0) 20 7549 0360
UK Registered Charity No. 328206 | Company Limited By Guarantee Reg. No. 2404121