[lit-ideas] Femininism

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:04:09 EDT

M. Chase writes of Elaine Pagels in Gnostic Gospels:

>she presents the Gnostics as
>femininists *avant la lettre*,

----

I thought Chase had one [avant la] 'letter' too many -- and that the
expression was "feminist" -- not 'femininist' --. The OED considers a
'femininism'
is however an expression used by women (their example "very  pleased") and I
don't think the Gnostics talked like _that_?

Cheers,

JL

-----

1846 in WORCESTER  (citing  Phren. Jrnl.), and in mod.  Dicts.

"femininism"

1892 F. HALL  in  Nation 13 Oct. 282/3

The locution [very  pleased] has been, all along, in the main a femininism.

1895 Critic 2 Feb. 90/2

The writer depicts Ford as the  deepest â??femininistâ?? in the Shakespearian
constellation.

1902 BEERBOHM  Around Theatres (1924) I. 365

Ibsen's femininistic propaganda.