[lit-ideas] Re: Feeling Safe isn't safe

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:07:16 -0700

Irene

You haven't the foggiest notion of what the founding fathers thought.  Here
are the words you misrepresent.  I quote them.  They mean something
different from your twisting and misrepresenting of them: A well regulated
Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the
people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."   The right of the
people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, and these people shall
decide what is necessary to their security, not big government or anti-gun
Leftist-Pacifists who don't really like what our founding fathers created.

Here is an official discussion of the subject; which you won't read, Irene,
but perhaps someone else will:  http://www.constitution.org/mil/rkba1982.htm
It provides an interesting history of this matter.

Here are some quotes from some of the founding fathers you misrepresent.
Perhaps you can read just these few lines:

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people
always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use
them." (Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress,
initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first
Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.)

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may
have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification
of the Constitution.)

"The advantage of being armed . . . the Americans possess over the people of
all other nations . . . Notwithstanding the military establishments in the
several Kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources
will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James
Madison, author of the Bill of Rights, in his Federalist Paper No. 46.)

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
(Second Amendment to the Constitution.)

Lawrence