[lit-ideas] FW: Re: The Constant Gardener - Off List

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:02:49 -0400

Off list.  I think in some ways you were "fortunate" to have your
experience, the way Dickens was "fortunate" to have his.  You got to see a
world few readers see, and you got to see it from, as you say, an
"unhinged" perspective.  If I were a writer, I would envy you your
experiences.  Whether sympathy or empathy is required for enduring
literature, I don't know and who really cares.  Crichton researches and
writes from his imagination.  Dickens wrote from imagination and
experience.  They're both good.  And I can relate to the emotional part.
I've worked through a lot of stuff myself, but nothing as dramatic as
yours.  I suspect the unworked through part is the part that is keeping
your sympathy at bay, and also is the direct cause of the PTSD.  It all
lies in childhood, that's a universal.  Who knows, maybe you'll donate some
of the proceeds of your best seller to start a foundation to help the
mentally ill homeless get on their feet. And maybe not.  And that's fine.
And that's all I have to say.