[lit-ideas] FW: Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:28:30 -0400

>coupled with the fact that a college education doesn't
> teach anything worth knowing half the time (yes, it's true),

Can someone please tell me what a communications major learns?  Presumably
they learn how to communicate.  But what do they communicate?  Is it sort
of like a fancy sociology focusing on the media?  I once took a course in
economics and I was crazy about it, toyed with majoring in it.  Even
economics, unless one is teaching it to others is not all that useful, but
boy is it interesting (macro).  Econometrics has to be completely bogus;
micro is the flip side of being an electrician, it's just a trade.
Economists work in banks (among other places) doing predictions hoping that
this time the "all other things being equal" will hold, and of course it
never does.  (Q: what's better than a million dollar forecasting system?
A: a guess.)   Seriously, what does a communications major learn?