[lit-ideas] FW: MUST SEE: Guns and Tampons: A History of Violence Against Women I Know

  • From: "Alex Jorgensen" <bangdrum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 21:14:09 +0800

----Original Message Follows----
From: Info/Asian Arts Initiative <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>(by way of Nathalie Anderson)
To: nanders1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: MUST SEE: Guns and Tampons: A History of Violence Against Women I Know
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:56:36 -0500

The Asian Arts Initiative presents:

Guns and Tampons: A History of Violence Against Women I Know
Hanalei Ramos
Friday, February 9, 8:30 p.m.

Asian Arts Initiative, 1315 Cherry Street, 2nd Floor

Philadelphia, PA 19107

$10 admission, $5 for members

Guns and Tampons: A History of Violence Against Women I Know is the debut of new work by spoken word artist and writer, Hanalei Ramos. In her first multi-media solo show, Hanalei has created one act plays based on the experiences of three women who are victims and survivors of domestic violence. By staging portraits of some of the most intimate moments in a woman's life, Guns and Tampons challenges our working definition of womanhood and examines how it is warped by cultural expectations, societal conditioning, and subtle forms of violence. Ultimately, the patchwork testimony of several individuals becomes the story of all women, and a compelling glimpse into a world of survival and strength.

Hanalei Ramos is co-founder of the 101Project artists collective. She has toured around the nation to various college and university campuses as a spoken word artist, and has also been a performer and panelist at Girlfest Honolulu, NAASCON, ECAASU, and the March for Women's Lives. In the last two years, she has been deeply involved with various women's organizations in the Jersey City/New York City area. Most recently, she has authored Letters to Martha, a personal testimony to her first-hand experience with domestic violence and Foiled Stars, a collection of poems and prose. Hanalei lives in her native Jersey City, NJ.

This performance was made possible by the generous support of the donor of the Asian Arts Initiative.

Images available upon request.

The Asian Arts Initiative is grounded in the belief that the arts can provide an important political and cultural voice for the Asian American community in Philadelphia. We serve as a community arts center where artists and everyday people are developing means to express our diverse experiences as Asian Americans.

1315 Cherry Street, 2nd Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215)557-0455 | info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://asianartsinitiative.org>