[lit-ideas] Re: F. R. Leavis on Genius, etc

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 11:22:35 +0100 (BST)

Mullan begins: "I once met F.R. Leavis – or almost."

Well, on several occasions I have met John Mullan socially - or almost.
'Bumptious' would be a polite word for him. I also know others who have met him
some of whom literally shudder at the mention of his name - and, many years
after that acquaintance, still have to change channels whenever he appears on
television. I also have a fabulously indiscreet friend who tells a hilarious
story of having dinner with John and his wife (an old Cambridge chum), but it's
not for the list. One of the last times I saw John he was calling at the house
of a mutual friend while I was there, and when he entered he began barking out
phrases in German for no justifiable reason whatsoever.

Why write all this? Though afaik John is not a genius, there are many ways this
bears on genius. One is that John writes concisely and generally well about
literature but you would hardly glean his pointless point-scoring and
condescending personality from his prose. This points up the sometimes massive
gap between person and work - sometimes the work, far from being a
straightforward expression of personality, is almost a testament to the
deficiencies of the person, a kind of effort to overcome defects of character.
[E.g. Beethoven and Wagner - Wagner never had true love but his work was an
artistic way to compensate for this lack.]

John aside, we should avoid a romantic conception of 'genius'. Even those who
might appear to best fit this mantle can hardly be properly understood this way
or in terms of 'personality'. If we look at Beethoven, whose personality is
reflected in his music but who seeks to overcome his personal defects in his
music rather than merely express them, it is not the genius of the personality
that makes his music great but the genuis of the musician-composer: if
Beethoven had the same genius as a musician-composer he may well have produced
equally great work even if he had a very different personality and even if that
very different personality were expressed in his work and central to its
expression - whereas someone with Beethoven's personality but lacking his
musical genius would never have produced such great work even if that same
personality were expressed in the work and central to its expression . The
romantic conception of the artist as 'genius', of
 which Beethoven may be the progenitor and apotheosis, tends to obscure all
this.

In Popper's terms, it is grasp of World 3 that is central and not personality
and other things that often are taken as signs of genius. There was a magazine
article recently on Lennon-McCartney that speculated on what it was that marked
their genius as songwriters as opposed to most other contemporaries (why did
only The Beatles transcend the British Invasion Beat Boom of which they were
initially a part?)- everything was canvassed from losing their mothers at a
tender age to being born with the Scouse wit (explanations that fail to explain
why others who lost their mothers when young, or blessed with Scouse wit,
showed the same creative genius). The most important factor here - World 3 -
was left unmentioned. Lennon-McCartney had a deeper and wider grasp of the
"World 3" of music than their lesser contemporaries and it is this that lies at
the heart of explaining their creativity. The same is true of Dylan. The same
is true of Beethoven. The same is
 true of Bach. The same is true of Einstein.

The serious point is that the romantic conception of 'genius' gives undue
emphasis to personality and psychology and tends to overlook what is absolutely
central to their creativity - that their talent was locked deeply and widely
into a 'World 3'.

When you want a clue to their creativity you will find it less in reflection on
personality and the like than in the fact Dylan was a young man who would
virtually lock himself away with the Harry Smith Anthology or Johnson's King of
the Delta Blues Singers with an obsessive fascination to mine their depths and
that Bach would walk for several days just to hear Buxtehude. The reason Mozart
could recite another's composition from memory after one hearing [as reported]
wasn't because he had a photographic or brilliant memory but because he had a
genius-level appreciation of the World 3 of music and so could 'locate' a whole
composition in World 3 terms [and hence 'recall' it given that knowledge] in
the way we might locate a 'word' missing from a sentence because we grasp the
World 3 content of the sentence.

Donal