[lit-ideas] Re: Europe's September 11 ?

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:10:12 -0500

Andreas Ramos wrote:

"This is blowback. We, the United States of America, created this mess.
The USA itself is ultimately responsible for creating the monsters of
9.11 and the Madrid bombings."

As an analysis of the background for the current situation, this has
some plausibility.  It is, however, singularly unhelpful as a guide for
how to proceed.  In fact, it merely reinforces the message of the
monsters, namely, that the U.S., and its allies, deserve whatever they
get.  The question remains, how does one act against the monsters of
9.11 and the Madrid bombings?  My argument is that the way of Europe, as
exemplified by France, Germany, and now Spain, is self-defeating because
it reinforces the actions of the monsters.  The way of the U.S./U.K. has
been moderately effective though seriously hampered by the
administration's willingness to employ ideology and deceit.  The danger
lies in the momentum shifting in favour of the monsters.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON