[lit-ideas] Re: Eliot (and Oregon as Suburb)

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:52:25 -0700

on 6/5/05 4:26 PM, Judy Evans at judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Sunday, June 5, 2005, 10:47:50 PM, Robert Paul wrote:
>
> RP> Vindication!
>
> RP> http://www.oda.state.or.us/information/AQ/AQFall99/07.html
>

>> Commission's name was changed to the Oregon Hazelnut Commission
>> in 1994 to better position the Oregon Filbert in European markets
>> where the nut was known as hazelnut.
>
> My mother taught me about filberts (the longer ones) and hazelnuts.
> She probably learned it in the US. So perhaps you're growing filberts
> and we're growing hazelnuts?
>
> I think this needs more research...

Look again at what I wrote.  Britannica says that filberts are a subset of
the group hazelnuts, latin name Corylus Avellana (strictly speaking that's
the latin name for everything in the hazel family, whether or not it bears
nuts).  Filberts used to be grown in Kent.  I didn't hear the name when
growing up in Kent.  What seems to have happened is that a subset name for
hazelnuts persisted here and came to stand for all hazelnuts, while in
Europe the subset name retreated and "hazelnuts" persisted.  Thus when
Oregon nuts had to be sold to Old World Nutella eaters, they were re-named
hazelnuts.

Can you imagine Nutella being called a Chocolate Filbert Spread?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon