[lit-ideas] Re: E Mail and Schopenhauer's "The Art of Being Proved Right"

  • From: Henninge@xxxxxxxxxxx (Richard Henninge)
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 13:14:13 +0200

Recent late controversies on this list make the final words in
Schopenhauer's "The Art of Being Proved Right" ring prophetic:

 The only safe rule, therefore, is that which Aristotle mentions in the last
chapter of his Topica: not to dispute with the first person you meet, but
only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess
sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to
appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to
it; and, finally, to cherish truth, to be willing to accept reason even from
an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong,
should truth lie with him. **From this it follows that scarcely one man in a
hundred is worth your disputing with him.** You may let the remainder say
what they please, for every one is at liberty to be a fool - desipere est
jus gentium. Remember what Voltaire says: La paix vaut encore mieux que la
verite. Remember also an Arabian proverb which tells us that on the tree of
silence there hangs its fruit, which is peace.

Even the last line, with its Arabian proverb, returns us to the German verb
(schweigen) encountered in Wittgenstein's final sentence from the Tractatus:
"Am Baume des Schweigens hängt seine Frucht der Friede." "Upon the tree of
remaining silent hangs its fruit--peace."

Wittgenstein: 7. Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
"Of that of which one cannot speak, of that one must remain silent."

Hoping that that "one man [or woman] in a hundred ... worth ... disputing
with" is on this list, I remain

Richard Henninge
University of Mainz