[lit-ideas] "Dr. Condom, I presume"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:44:52 EDT

D. Ritchie writes in his commentary  of his poem:

>It's hard to imagine that there was  a sufficient market in >trusses. What
else would they sell?  Male corsets perhaps? Condoms >maybe?

I've just checked and demolished one of my most cherished  urban myths.

"condom: origin unknown; no 18th-cent. physician named Condom  or Conton has
been traced though a doctor so named is often said to be the  inventor of the
sheath."

Don't you hate, Geary, when they write, "origin unknown".  Surely they should
abbreviate, "origin unknown." -- meaning "unknownable"  or _so far_
'unknown'. To be known or unknown is such a _subjective_ thing  that happens to
an item
that I can't see with what authority the OED claims that  something is known
or failed to be known.

Surely more than enough people 'know' that Condom  existed.

Cheers,

JL