[lit-ideas] Double Schm-

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:09:57 EST

In a message dated 2/7/2005 1:59:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

related  question: you know how you say "building? schmilding!" or
: "glasses?  schmasses!" What do you do if the word you are schm-ing already
: starts  with a schm? eg. "schmaltz ---  what??"

Herring?

----

I notice the OED has an entry for that, 'schm-', below, but no clue
regarding Stone's question.

I would suggest: geminate the m (as per the 1952 quote):

Cheers,

JL

---

From the OED

'schm-'.

An element, derived from the numerous Yiddish words that begin with this
sequence of sounds, fused with or replacing the initial letter(s) of a word, so

as to form a nonsense-word which is added to the original word in order to
convey disparagement, dismissal, or  derision.

1929 I. GOLLER Five Bks. of Mr. Moses V. ii. 215

â??I know he made Davy  go to the Palace to-day with the idea of hastening on
the crisis in his  illness.â??.. â??Crisis-shmisis!â?? mocked Barnett
disparagingly.

1935  A.  KOBER  Thunder over Bronx 28 Now alluva  sudden is fency-shmency
with forks. Ibid. 48 So who you  rushing to see, Miss Hurry Shmurry?

1952 Jrnl.  Eng. & Gmc. Philol. LI. 226
The morphological  pattern of the jocular repetition of a word or word-ending
prefixed by the  cluster m- seems to have become quite  generalized... I have
heard..moon-schmoon, etc.

1953  I.  ASIMOV Second Foundation xviii. 183
â??Time; schmime,â??  said Pappa irritably.

1963  T.  PYNCHON V. xii. 354 â??It's  murdering your own child, is what it
is.â??
 â??Child, schmild. A complex protein  molecule, is all.â??

1966 N.Y.  Herald Tribune 20 Mar. (Sunday Mag.) 33/3  Trotsky-shmotsky,
Lesbian- or Trotsky-shmotany way you slice The Group on  screen it's the same
old
baloney about The Girls.

1967 New  Yorker 28 Oct. 105/2
Two early Christians  chanced to meet in Heaven... â??Saul of Tarsus, yet!â??
cried one. â??What are  you doing here?â?? â??Tarsus-Schmarsus,â?? replied the
other, â??
I'm Paul  already.â??

1969 Listener 24 Apr. 569/1,
I was surprised to  find René Cutforth retelling the old story of the
psychiatrist and the fond  mother without specifying that she's a Jewish
mother. (â??I
have to tell  you, madam, that your son is suffering from an Oedipus
complex.â??
â??Oedipus,  Schmoedipus! What does it matter so long as he loves his mother?â??
)

1971  D.  HEFFRON Nice Fire & Some Moonpennies xv.  140
Gods, schmods! You  can have them.

1978  F.  ROSS  Sleeping Dogs 110
â??Listen,  â??Liâ?? â??Listen schmisten! I tell you I won't  be  here.â??