[lit-ideas] Re: Don't Laugh (Math)

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:40:58 EDT

<Meekly raising hand> -- What does the carrot top symbol in  superscript
mean??

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Don't Laugh
(Math)  Date: 6/23/06 4:12:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Erin,
my dad asked me if I knew how to do  this, and coincidentally, we just
went over this this year in math  class.
How you solve the problem is you first multiply out (x+y)^4, which
gives you, if you don't simplify it completely,
(x^2+2xy+y^2)(x^2+2xy+y^2).  This is the same as the first equation,
only multiplied by itself, so to get the answer, you need to multiply
the 9 by itself, which gives you 81.  I hope this helps.
Julia  Ritche