[lit-ideas] Re: Do You Have an Urgency?

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:22:09 -0700

What's an urgency? It's what you have when you feel the need to contact an administrator, as evidenced in the following note, I've come home to:

... away from my desk until Monday...However, if you have an urgency, please contact [name deleted] and
she can contact me by phone.

Most of me has returned, though some of me is feeling few or little or not much urgency. This is undoubtedly due to the fact that I developed pneumonia or something quite like it when I was off vacationing. How is it that I cannot say for sure? I consulted the house doctor and we decided that antibiotics might be a good idea even though we didn't have a definitive diagnosis, lab work and all billing information given. So I got better, returned feeling well enough to take my brother (visiting from Britain) crabbing--and to post Sunday poems--felt a good deal worse the following morning, nonetheless departed as promised to help my brother set up his tent and generally find his way around Hood River, which is a windsurfing community about an hour and a half away from here. Having done all that, I came home and rested. Now I feel a little more life-like.

The State Police had an urgency this morning. After a night in a tent that did old backs no good at all, my brother and I hied us off in search of a bagel and coffee. I had given him instruction on differences between British and U.S. road rules and particularly instructed him in the most peculiar of U.S. driving institutions, the four-way stop. Everywhere in Europe it's clear who has right of way. Here, you take it in turns...unless people choose not to. So this morning I drove through Hood River's only four way stop, looked in my mirror, saw John stop, looked back again, saw him followed by a cop with flashing lights. The cop had arrived at the junction first. John stopped, waited for the cop to go. The cop did nothing. John assumed this meant he had right of way and for some reason the cop was not taking his turn. When in fact, as you or I would know, the cop was merely staying still in the hope that he could lure some poor visitor into an infraction. Welcome to America, land of urgencies and quotas of citations.

Before Hood River, we were near Sisters, in a place called Camp Sherman. Why was it called Camp Sherman? Because General Sherman came and camped there? Because soldiers who loved the memory of dear of Sherman camped there? No. Because farmers of Sherman County ran away from the heat of eastern Oregon's wheat farms to shelter among the Ponderosa Pines. This is the camp where farmers camped. Near Sisters, which is named after three sisters who went camping with some urgency. Or maybe the three sisters are mountains? One way or another, I'm not a forest-loving person, so the place lacked charm. As did one of my nieces. As did whatever bug infested my lungs.

Not the best of vacations.

But, as those of you who have been doing it will be sure to tell me, it beats work.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon