[lit-ideas] Re: {Disarmed} Making of a mass murderer inEnglish Class

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:57:18 +0000

You seem to be suggesting at the beginning that Grabar was lying by saying that
Brent Stevens taught a class that Cho took, but then you post a description of
the course and the fact that he was teaching it, namely without correcting your
earlier suggestion.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/cram/feature/wb/wb/xp-89365

As to your suggestion that Oehlschlaeger's course contradicts Grabbar's
assertions, if Oehlschlaeger's position were the predominant one in academia or
even at Virginia Tech you would be right, but I don't believe that is the case.
 The predominate anti-Christian movement in the West is pretty well known and
much discussed.  Weber was the first to refer to the disenchantment of the
west, I believe.  Some of us discussed some of these matters in regard to
Marcel Gauchet's The Disenchantment of the World, a Political History of
Religion.   Gauchet is an atheist and notes that the influence of Christianity
in the West has dwindled to the point, in his view, of insignificance.  Charles
Taylor wrote the Foreword to the English edition of Gauchet's book and argued
that one can benefit from Gauchet's discussion of the influence of Christianity
in the development of what has become The West, without accepting his
conclusion that the Secular West no longer needs Christianity.   Nevertheless
it is assumed that the influence of Christianity has dwindled markedly.

The U.S. is more religious than any other nation in the West (see Drezner's
article for example: http://www.nationalinterest.org/Article.aspx?id=13286 ),
but does that extend to what is taught in our Universities?  My impression is
that it does not.  Universities in the U.S. are thoroughly secular.  Harvard,
Yale, and some others were originally intended as seminaries, but that idea was
abandoned long ago.  Seminaries do exist, but I am aware of no prevalent
Christian influence in any Secular University.

Lawrence

From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, Apr-24-2007 11:05 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: {Disarmed} Making of a mass murderer inEnglish Class
Every single one, Edward, surely?... this is the second
despicable attack on English at
VT (the second I've seen).  Here's a list of this term's courses

http://www.english.vt.edu/ug/spring2007.pdf

Here's a Graduate Faculty list -- with no Brent Stevens, ?, but
with, full
Professor,

Fritz H. Oehlschlaeger

My current research interests involve the relationships between
literature and ethics and literature and Christian theology.
My primary writing at the moment is on a book manuscript looking
at bioethical matters from a standpoint that is partly, but not
wholly,
influenced by Christian ethics. I continue also to be interested
in
various aspects of American literature, particularly but not
exclusively
that of the nineteenth-century.
(etc.)

(Mary Grabar, townhall.com: "In our schizophrenic universities
students are taught that Christianity is evil and that heroism is
passé idea of old fools;")

http://www.english.vt.edu/grad/faculty.htm

here's Brent Stevens, instructor
http://www.english.vt.edu/directories/s.htm

*and here's Stevens and his course*

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/cram/feature/wb/wb/xp-89365

(here's this Fall's list

http://216.239.59.104/custom?q=cache:zUJuD2onaRIJ:www.english.vt.edu/ug/Fall%25202007.pdf+Stevens&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8)

**Who alerted people to the fact that Cho might be dangerous**?
THE ENGLISH DEPARTMENT AT VT.

VT is a rather conservative, very practical, ROTC-heavy
institution.

Mary Grabar allegedly teaches at a university in Atlanta.  I can
find no trace of that but if you want to meet her, try here

(I bet she bears a grudge against academia)

http://socratescafe.meetup.com/cities/us/ga/atlanta/

OK that's enough time given to townhall.com

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK