[lit-ideas] Re: {Disarmed} Making of a mass murderer in EnglishClass

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:15:48 +0000

If I understand your question, my answer here is that I'm not making a point,
merely analyzing the issue Gleason raised.  Or if I'm making a point it's a
very minor one -- a response to a quibble which erects a simplistic strawman.
No, I say, A did not cause B, but A was used by B as the trigger for C.  It is
interesting to discuss whether C would have occurred without A.  Maybe it would
have and maybe it wouldn't.  Perhaps we can never know.

But perhaps you are asking if I want to draw some conclusions about what ought
to be done in the future.  Other than the comments I made about disagreeing
with the philosophy that results in preferring "relevant" literature over
literature with more merit, I don't think anything can be done.  We value our
liberty in the U.S. and Cho, if Stevens' class provided him a necessary
trigger, is part of the breakage we accept for our freedom.

Lawrence

From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, Apr-24-2007 11:01 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: {Disarmed} Making of a mass murderer in EnglishClass
LH:
>>How many does it take?  Most of us could probably watch the Texas Chain Saw
>>Massacre without harm, but we are seeing evidence that Cho was powerfully
>>affected by the materials he encountered in this class.  There may have been
>>a connection between the class materials and Cho's subsequent actions.   We
>>know he wasn't normal and in this class he was confronted by the depiction,
>>even the glorification to use one of Obama's expression, of aberrant
>>behavior.  He may have been encouraged by it.  Either he was encouraged by it
>>or it is a coincidence that he just happened to be studying this material
>>when he decided for utterly unrelated reasons to engage in similar actions.<<

So what's your point?

Mike Geary