[lit-ideas] Differant

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:53:40 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/2004 7:16:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jlye@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Fortunately for everyone, returning to Derrida, a writer for whom I  have
great respect, I have a brief web page on différance  at
http://www.brocku.ca/english/courses/4F70/diffr.html.

----

Thanks for the link.

"they differ, and hence open a space from that which they represent,  and ii)
they defer [...]"

Well put.

So, now I'm curious as to whether 'differ' and 'defer' come from  the same
Latin source.

After checking, I see the thing is not so easy. The OED recognises  two
entries for 'defer', defer-1 and differ-2, respectively in the  appendix.

Then there's 'differ'.

Cheers,

JL

difer-1, v. [ME. differre-n, a. OF. différer  (il diffère), 14th c. in
Littré, ad. L. differ-re to carry apart,  put off, postpone, delay, protract;
also,
intr., to bear in different  directions, have diverse bearings, differ. Orig.
the same word as DIFFER v. (q.v. for  the history of their differentiation),
and often spelt differ in 16-17th  c.; but forms in de-, def-, are found from
the 15th, and have  prevailed, against the etymology, mainly from the stress
being on the final  syllable; but partly, perhaps, by association with delay.]

difer-2, v. [a. F. déférer (il défère), 16th  c. in Littré (defferer 14th c.
in Godef. Suppl.), in same sense as  Eng., ad. L. fer-re to bring or carry
away,  convey down, to bring or carry with reference to destination, to confer,

deliver, transfer, grant, give, to report, to refer (a matter) to any one; f.
DE- I. 1, 2 + ferre to  bear, carry.]

differ, v. [a. F. différer (in Froissart 14th c.),  ad. L. differ-re to carry
or bear apart, spread abroad, distract,  protract, delay, defer; also intr.
to tend apart or diversely in nature  or character, to differ. The verb was
used with both senses in F. in 14th c.,  and has continued to be so used till
the
present day. In English, it was taken  first in the transitive sense, with
stress <Nffer (cf. confer,  refer, prefer), which led at length to the
transitive senses being  written defer: see DEFER v.1; the intrans. use, being
closely
related in sense to different, difference, apparently  followed these words
in stressing the first syllable. (Offer,  suffer, which have the same stress,
have a distinct form in French and  Romanic.) And one transitive use, closely
associated with the intrans., and with  different, difference, has gone with
these. In this way L.  differre, F. différer, ME. <Nfferre, has been split into
the two  verbs defer to put off, and differ to make or be unlike. The pr.
pple. differing occurs in Chaucer's Boethius; but instances of the  verb in the
form differ are rare before 1500.]