[lit-ideas] Re: "Describe the aroma of coffee"

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 03:29:03 -0500

I'm suddenly reminded of all the Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road philo
jokes ....

Bearing in mind that it is 3 a.m., and that the last passing nod I made in
the direction of any real phil of language was when the dinosaurs roamed the
earth, I will nonetheless essay a question here.

When children learn language, words (understanding first, then gradually
speaking), they do so to some extent by context and process of elimination.
"See the red bird?"  "Let's put on your red sweater."   "Can you catch the
red ball?"  "You have a red ball and a blue ball!"  "There's a pretty blue
bird on your red sweater!"  As the kiddo's brain sorts through the
variations, the child learns to associate a given visual perception with the
words "blue" and "red", and physical objects with "sweater", "ball", and
"bird".  I won't push things by questioning human perception across the
board, but at the very least it seems quite likely that there is no
objectively demonstrable proof that what you are experiencing when you
visually perceive the colour "red" is the same as what I am experiencing
when I visually perceive the same coloured object.  We agree to call each
"red" because in our experience, the perception of that colour is what we
have learned by context and process of elimination to call "red".  Asking if
one can describe the aroma of coffee seems to me tentamount to asking if one
can describe the colour of red.  One can describe "red" relative to other
colours (purple would have been a better example but I'm not going to go
back and edit the birds and balls and sweaters, so sue me; one could say in
response to "can you describe 'purple'?", "'purple' is what it looks like if
you mix red and blue".)  However, unless one had a conception of "red" and
"blue", "purple" could not be described in that manner.  Likewise with
"chocolaty", etc.

Aren't sensory perceptions inherently inexplicable, but only referable (is
that a word?) by using other already established descriptors?  For that
matter descriptions of ANY words are predicated on previously agreed upon
labels. If I am talking with someone who is learning English, and they say,
"que es 'red'?", I can think of no way to describe it (in either language).
I either point to a couple different things that are (what I call) red, or
consult my dictionary and produce "rojo".   I have no clue whether McCreery
& Geary have the same olefactory experience I do when smelling the same cup
of coffee.  I don't know wheather "red" (what we all point to and agree to
call "red") looks the same to either of them as it looks to me.  Pushed to
the logical extreme, can ANY word be "described" (as opposed to "defined")?
Sometimes it seems to me that the notion of any real, objective
communication is tenuous at best.  A tangential aside .... this always makes
me start wondering about synesthesia...

Julie Krueger
breaking from sorting stashes of papers (have you ever run across something
you wrote in your youth, which you felt truly passionate about, and thought,
"what the hell was WRONG with me?  I couldn't possibly have perceived life
that way!  Scary.  Just scary.)