[lit-ideas] Re: Derrida -- "abstruse theorist"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:56:56 EDT

In a message dated 10/13/2004 11:40:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
thereby  making it a criterion
of excellence that a work's author (his or her  intentions, of course, aside)
has an appropriate gender, ethnicity, or  geographical origin.

Mmm. "A. C.  Grayling". I wonder: what gender, ethnicity, or, indeed
geographical  origin?

I don't think Jack (as I call him) Derrida made a strong point about
geographical origin. He never acknowledged his motherland (Algier), and
referred  to
himself, rather, as a French ("Gallois").

Cheers,

JL