[lit-ideas] Re: Derrida -- "French thinker", the obituary read

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:14:38 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
Sent: Oct 13, 2004 9:39 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Derrida -- "French thinker", the obituary read

In a message dated 10/12/2004 8:02:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I think  Julie hit it when she said she loves Derrida but doesn't know why.
IMO  it's because his writing is so abstract it reaches the level of  music.

----

Note the NYT obituary (front page) read, "Derrida, French thinker,  dies".

I would have written "philospher", but perhaps "thinker" was what he was.

A.A. Philosopher may sound a bit quaint perhaps for NYT readers.  I wouldn't
dispute that he was a philosopher.  A professional thinker is a philosopher.

J.L. Note it didn't say "abstract musician", or anything like that.

A.A.  He wasn't a musician.  Why should they call him a musician?  My point was
that his writing may as well be music because it is so abstract.  At least for
me and for those who agree with me.

J.L. So what pleases Julie is Derrida's 'chain of thinking', and the way she
can
emphatise with it.

A.A. I read Julie's post (now deleted) to say that she liked his work the way
one might enjoy a painting, presumably a Jackson Pollock.  She specifically
made the point that she didn't understand it, and she blamed herself (not
having letters after her name).

Derrida might be compared to Bush/Kerry.  Liking or disliking [Derrida, Bush,
Kerry] is often, perhaps usually, irrespective of virtues or deficits.   I
think we have to agree to disagree on this.

Andy Amago

Cheers,

JL