[lit-ideas] Re: Dead society walking...??

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:28:24 -0400

David Savory wrote:

"If Iraqis get to freely choose a future, that'll be great, but I'll bet
a million dollars that future won't be something mainstream America will
approve of."

I am assuming that is a million dollars you don't have.

The point was to have a democratic government that would prove to be a
viable alternative to the despotic regimes in the region.  It is
irrelevant whether mainstream America approves of it or not.  The issue
is whether Iraqis and hopefully Saudi's and Iranians and Syrians, etc.
would approve of it.

It may be that Iraqis will vote in someone like al Sadr but I find this
very unlikely.  His support is largely with the poor and he is being
increasingly marginalized by the mainstream Shi'a leaders.  Iraq is a
largely secular country and I have trouble seeing a character like al
Sadr gaining broad support.  Despite the hopes of some, I doubt Iraq
will go to hell.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON