[lit-ideas] Re: "De vita et moribus" -- Rees-Mogg (from Who's Who)

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:49:10 -0000

William Rees-Mogg is a life peer

Judy Evans, Cardiff

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2007 11:15 PM
  Subject: [lit-ideas] "De vita et moribus" -- Rees-Mogg (from Who's Who)

  J. Evans quotes:

  "Lord Rees-Mogg,
  council chairman.  A list of unacceptable words has been compiled, in order
  of their power to shock, in a survey by the Council of 300 viewers.  At his
  briefing in London yesterday, Lord Rees-Mogg disclosed that the C-word came
  top of the list, followed by two American-derived graphically sexual terms
  of abuse, the M-phrase and another C-phrase.  The F-word ranked fifth."

  Interesting. Interesting peerage, too. Rees is of course Welsh, but I'm not
sure about

        (i) Mogg

  and

       (ii) the hyphenation.

  So, I'd like to know "e:" of this Lord. I wonder if it's a new peerage, and
if  not, where the family seat is.

  From Who's Who:

      "Hobbies: gardening"

  "is the author of a "List of Unspeakable Words" for the Broadcasting Company.
A civil servant".