[lit-ideas] Creative America Project

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:40:42 EDT

For a few months, America's "creative workers" were tasked with generating
al-Qaeda attack scenarios, before those scenario lists shifted completely to
Hollywood. Now it's a call to developing foreign policy. Perhaps they're not
thinking that through. If we all put down our poems and stories and canvases
and
cameras and sheet music to help with foreign policy, the result might not be
more creative public policy, but  more gainfully employed former creative
workers. -Eric

PS: The Center for Cultural Policy site recently ran an article declaring
that the Scandinavian countries (considered as a group) had surpassed the US as
"most creative nation," largely because those countries don't have as many laws
and restrictions and police and taboos and crackdowns, which are said to
drain the creative life out of a nation. Great! The one thing the US had going
for
it and now we've let that slip. Where are time machines when you need them?
____________________________________
From http://www.culturalcommons.org/announcedetail.cfm?ID=130

Chicago Sun-Times highlights the Creative America Project
submitted by Creative America
Details"What was it, exactly, that was so disturbing about those 9/11
commission hearings this week?" asks Debra Pickett of the Chicago Sun-Times.
"It was
the complete absence of creative, original thought." Pickett's article
highlights the Creative America Project, which seeks to mobilize the "creative
class"
not only as an economic force but as a political one. Project organizer Tom
Tresser wants them to vote -- and run for office. Says Tresser, "Artists and
creative professionals are nontraditional thinkers. They're problem solvers.
And
those are skills we need in the public space. We need those minds applied to
public policy."

Read the full article, reprinted on the Creative America site at
http://www.tresser.com/creative_america.htm.

For more infohttp://www.creativeamerica.us