[lit-ideas] Re: Convention -- Conventional?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:02:16 EDT

In a message dated 8/31/2004 8:25:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,  JimKandJu
lieB@xxxxxxx writes:
Did  anyone watch any of the Rep. convention last night?

Julie  Krueger

----

When I read the subject line, I thought this was going to be a discussion  of
David Lewis's book, _Convention_. Why is "Republican" omitted in the subject
line. Lexically, it makes you wonder why a thing as the Republican (or
Democrat)  convention is _called_ a convention (at all). For Lewis (and other
philosophers)  holding the fork with the left hand and the knife with the right
hand
_is_ a  convention (or using 'red', 'yellow' and 'green' in traffic lights).
I think the  idea here (with Republicans and Democrats) is that they _convene_
(as per  'convenience') into a _definite_ spot?

Cheers,

JL