[lit-ideas] Re: Communism versus Nazism

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:02:03 -0500 (EST)

For those of you who read philosophy, this was exhasitively examined by B. Nozick

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Donal McEvoy wrote:

This was touched on recently, notably by Lawrence.

Article and blog:
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100026946/is-there-a-moral-difference-between-nazis-and-communists/

In particular Tayles is, at risk of breaking netiquette, is worth quoting:-

"Once you accept that all disparities of outcome in socety are down to
prejudice and oppression, then it follows that inequality is unjust and those who
hold an advantage over others have achieved it by means of cheating and bullying. If
you believe in that particular conspiracy theory, then all the atrocities
perpetrated in its name are blows for justice, rather than acts of unspeakable
cruelty.

The appeal of this worldview is obvious: it explains our failures and humiliations, and
promises us a new model of society in which we will receive the wealth and influence we
currently lack. Whatÿÿs more, it promises to handicap those people who
flourished under the old system.

Western intellectuals are particular susceptible to communist rhetoric, since
societies that operate on free market principles have little need for their
skills. They consider themselves to be wise and insightful, and regard any
society that fails to endorse their sense of entitlement to be inherently
unjust. They take up the cause of the downtrodden as a pretext for advancing
their own interests and seizing the power denied to them.

A communist takes their theories about society as a given. If they ever stopped to
consider whether it was wrong that Stalin killed so many people, they would simply
tell themselves that it was done in the name of the disadvantaged and is, therefore,
okay. Those people deserved what they got, as they colluded in an unjust social
order."

This kind of explanation by way of self-interest might be contrasted with
Popper's attempt to explain totalitarianism's ethical appeal in _TOSE_ (Popper
was not blind to how self-interest played its part and his emphasis on ethical
appeal is part of his strategy of attacking positions at their strongest, not
weakest).

It seems to me worth noting that this kind of explanation by way of self-interest works best if we
assume that the relevant persons are blind to how self-interested their 'politics' are and how much
(unconsciously) they derive comfort from their beliefs even if they remain politically
marginalised. I believe I have met quite a number of such self-deluded individuals. [Hell, some are
even English people who think having attended some left-wing meetings and read some left-wing
literature they are in a position to lecture the likes of myself on Irish history. (Cf. Mo Mowlam:
"Gentleman, I may be to you just another English Secretary of State for Northern Ireland but I
am not going to patronise you or condescend." Adams/McGuinness: "That'll be a
first.")]

Donal
Dnl
Ldn

/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Quaestiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]

Sull?orlo delle ciglia in oblìo
riproducimi il verso delle stelle
quando si vanno a scagliare
tra le ipotesi passate
di un presente privo di memorie.
Raccogli le mie penne
e gettale al fiume
ché non c?è seme di conoscenza
che non germini nel dolore.
Avanza l?autunno nel calpestìo delle foglie sul selciato
ed é un passo appena abbozzato
al calar della sera.

NATALIA CASTALDI