[lit-ideas] Re: Cloning is Moral

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 17:18:25 +0100

Whatever he thinks, there are anti-abortion US people flying for
treatment to a country that uses aborted fetuses for medical purposes
(the ones I've seen interviewed are OK people in that they are very
honest about it and they don't actually campaign against abortion);
and soon, they'll be flying here...

-- we are behind South Korea but hope to catch up soon.

**Reproductive** cloning is illegal here and research is strictly
regulated but that doesn't put us at a research disadvantage re
medical treatment, it seems; that isn't why we're behind the Koreans.
Selective IVF is legal in certain cases -- some people are unhappy about
this -- basically cases where a new child can save the life of an existing
one, by being a bone marrow donor, but that's a common law precedent
matter.

Judy

Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 4:12:38 PM, Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]

Eac> child who shares your genetic makeup, but whether you have  the right to
improve
Eac> the genetic makeup of your children: to prevent them from  getting genetic
Eac> diseases, to prolong their lifespan or to improve their physical
appearance.
Eac> You should have such rights just as you have the right to vaccinate  your
Eac> children or to fit them with braces.

Eac> _http://www.mensnewsdaily.com/archive/c-e/epstein/2005/epstein052305.htm_
Eac> (http://www.mensnewsdaily.com/archive/c-e/epstein/2005/epstein052305.htm)

Eac> Cloning Is Moral
Eac> May 23, 2005
Eac> by Alex Epstein

Eac> In a major breakthrough for medical progress, scientists from  South Korea
Eac> have created a highly efficient method for cloning human embryos and
extracting
Eac> stem cells--a feat that makes life-saving embryonic stem-cell  treatments
Eac> that much closer to reality. Instead of taking this thrilling news as  an
Eac> opportunity to celebrate cloning, politicians and
Eac> intellectuals are once  again
Eac> calling for bans. Some seek to ban all cloning, while others oppose "only"
Eac> reproductive cloning. Although each group claims the moral high ground,
both
Eac> positions are profoundly immoral. Any attempt to ban human cloning
technology should
Eac> be rejected permanently, because cloning--therapeutic and  reproductive--is
Eac> morally good.

Eac> Consider first therapeutic cloning, which opponents perversely condemn as
Eac> "antilife." Senator Sam Brownback, who has sponsored a Congressional ban
on all
Eac> cloning, says therapeutic cloning is "creating human life to destroy [it]."
Eac> President Bush calls it "growing human beings for spare body parts."
Eac> In fact, therapeutic cloning is a highly pro-life technology, since  cloned
Eac> embryos can be used to extract medically potent embryonic stem cells. A
cloned
Eac> embryo is created by inserting the nucleus of a human body cell into a
Eac> denucleated egg, which is then induced to divide until it reaches the
embryo
Eac> stage. These embryos are not human beings, but microscopic bits of
protoplasm  the
Eac> width of a human hair. They have the potential to grow into human  beings,
but
Eac> actual human beings are the ones dying for lack of this  technology. The
Eac> embryonic stem cells extracted from a cloned embryo can become  any other
type of
Eac> human cell. In the future, they may be used to develop  pancreatic cells
for
Eac> curing diabetes, cardiac muscle cells for curing heart  disease, brain
cells
Eac> for curing Alzheimer's--or even entire new organs for  transplantation.
"There's

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx