[lit-ideas] Children of the Sun

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:55:19 EDT

D. Ritchie quotes from Andreas Ramos:

>> Humans only a meter tall? Do they still exist?

and replies:

>Yes, Andreas.  We call them "chil-dren." Now JLS
>can give us some thoughts on the oddness of the word,
>and whether the Goth "kilpam," "womb"
>(from which we derive "children") has some
>connection -- that  my SOED is not revealing -- to
>the roots of "kill."  Wouldn't
>that be  strange.

----

Well, this below is what the OED says --  no mention of 'kill'.  Wouldn't
that be strange, indeed.

What the OED does mention is Siever's doctrine that German "kind" -- as  in
"Kinder", child -- is a 'perversion', Sievers wrote, of "child". The OED  notes
that in Anglo-Saxon England, the plural of 'child' was 'child'. Geary  knows
more about this stuff.

Cheers,

JL

---

'child' -- from the Old English "cild", neuter -- from 'child' -- fro type
(hypothetical) kilthom (Old  English "-id" from Old Teutonic "-ith") from root
(hypothetical)  kilth-, whence also Gothic kilthei womb, inkiltho, pregnant
woman."

"Not found elsewhere: in the other West Germanic languages its place is
taken by "kind". As the form of OHGerman,  OSaxon, OFrisian "kind" is not
satisfactorily explained from the root  "ken" (Aryan "gen-") â??beget, bearâ??,
and is,
for Low German at least,  quite irregular, Prof. Tony Sievers suggests the
possibility  that "kind" is a perversion of Southern Anglian "cild", by
assimilation to the derivatives of root "ken'", which may have spread from OHG.
 to OS.
and Fris. The OE. plural was normally  cild."