[lit-ideas] Re: Censorship Battle Over Frenchman's Face [was War Is War Is War]

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 14:51:38 -0700

Well, I am not sure how the image is censored if we can view it right
here on the Internet, is this somehow confidential ?

Wondering about the definition of censorship,

Two news agencies withdrew the image, after having displayed it for a while: Agence France-Presse, and Reuters. (I think they did a public service.)

This really doesn't strike me as censorship, and I hope there's no attempt to define censorship, until those interested in defining 'mistake,' have come to a conclusion.

'This last argument, on a previous occasion of its use, was met with the ploy that I hadn’t proved “Warszawa” to be a Polish word, for I had supplied no rigorous definition of the word “word”. But it is just a Socratic sophistry to argue that a proposition may not be plainly true unless the terms in it are defined—let alone ‘rigorously’ defined. “Define your terms is a regular move for political hecklers, for writers of letters to newspapers, for idle tosspots who argue inconsequentially over their beer; after bedeviling philosophy for centuries, the Socratic argument has found its proper level; let us keep it there.'

Peter Geach, in Logic Matters [a collection of his papers]; the original article appeared in the Review of Metphysics, 1969.

Robert Paul,
who just glimpsed a TV commercial for Guinness, which included Robert Frost's lines, 'from what I've tasted of desire, I hold with those who favor fire.' I missed their relevance to stout.