[lit-ideas] Re: Carry on

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:48:01 -0700

On Apr 11, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Paul Stone wrote:

So... every time I see a David Ritchie "Sunday" or "Wednesday" poem, I'll try and remember to generate a little sumpin sumpin in the way of a book review. Just to keep us on the straight, er.... reasonable and logical and narrow.

This sounds like a good idea.

Re. Kollwitz, one story. A holocaust survivor came to me with a cherished Kollwitz that had somehow come with her family from Germany. To my simple eye, it seemed like the real thing, but expertise is a good idea when it comes to such matters. I called Gordon Gilkey and asked him to take a look. "Let's get out the book," he said. Rule one with prints, apparently is to measure them. The book tells you what the dimensions of the original edition were. The treasured print turned out to be an early knock-off, an early reproduction that was practically without value. If you've ever seen "Antiques Roadshow," and the glorious joy on people's faces when they discover they have something valuable, just imagine the opposite.

Not a lot of fun.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon