[lit-ideas] Re: Cannon-Ho

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 20:32:58 -0400

A fine story, David.   But all the way through, I kept thinking (with
the corner of my mind) about how I'm forever (well...for the last five
years or so...) trying  to get rid of things.  Yesterday morning I
decided to tackle the cook books.  (When I need recipes these days, I
turn first to the internet.)  So, I decided, surely I can get rid of
half these cookbooks (collected over almost forty years).  Some of their
spines had not been cracked for three years and more.  But...each book
fell open at some irresistible recipe and got put on a pile of "not yet
discardable" books.  The same sort of thing happens when I try to clean
closets and cupboards and basement cubicles.  Alas.  On the bright
side...these days, when I go to garage sales, I hardly ever buy more
than one or two things (gracefully aging tablecloths being always
irresistible...I found one today dating from someone's Italian
grandmother).  As a last resort, I remind myself of Socrates' words
while walking through the market at Athens, "So many things a man can do
without".  So, indeed.
Ursula,
overwhelmed by tablecloths...in North Bay