[lit-ideas] Re: CIA Admissons Test

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:53:27 +0200

On 15 Oct. 2006, at 04:36, Walter O. wrote:

A famous metaphysician giving a lecture at Heidelberg:

Gut eevning. Toonaiyt my topeek vil bee "On being just, prudent, courageous, und vise." I vil not hev eenuff taim to speek on oll ov dese topics, so I vill focus on only von of dem: I vil speek on "being."

In the extended academic version of this joke, one of the footnotes to the punchline reads: see especially Frederick A. Olafson's _Heidegger and the Ground of Ethics_ (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press,1998).

The *fully* extended version the joke is of the very dry, ironic sort which history often delivers us. A lot of people choke on it - and thus miss its point (which, like the point of many jokes, has little to do with humour and a lot to do with puncturing ...).

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany

A private version of the joke takes the form of a 'shaggy dog story': in my copy of Olafson's book I find my train ticket from earlier this year: Dresden -> Berlin Zoo ....

CB