[lit-ideas] CAIR defames Spencer

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:45:55 +0000

I have never been interested in Robert Spencer beyond reading his Jihad Watch
from time to time, but he is apparently considered a significant threat by
CAIR:  Here is something Spencer wrote in his Blog today (and, for the record I
have never until today, to the best of my knowledge, read anything in his Blog):

CAIR, desperate to defame me, grasps at straws
Several people have notified me of an item entitled "Anti-Hate Blogger Slams
Robert Spencer's 'Spin'" at CAIR's website. CAIR has had its hounds out lately,
with Ibrahim Hooper slandering me on Paula Zahn's show, strongly implying that
I wrote words that I did not write and do not believe.
Hot on the heels of that came the now-infamous bullying letter from CAIR's
lawyers, threatening Young America's Foundation with legal action if they
allowed me to speak last week (which I did). That letter contained false and
defamatory charges against me, charges that the lawyers did not -- and cannot
-- substantiate.
And now comes this, which shows that CAIR is really getting desperate. The
entry on CAIR's site contains a link to a lengthy pdf that purports to be an
exposé of all my nefarious deeds. There's just one problem: as Mary McCarthy
famously said about Lillian Hellman, "Every word she writes is a lie, including
and and the." This windy hit piece even gets my name wrong, and if there is
even one true statement in it, I haven't found it yet.
By posting this ludicrous piece, CAIR has signed on to the contention that Hugh
Fitzgerald and I are one and the same -- which will come as quite a surprise to
all the people who met us both at the David Horowitz Freedom Center's
Restoration Weekend last year. CAIR has likewise signed on to the pdf's most
glaring leap of logic: it contends both that I secretly support Osama bin Laden
and the global jihad, and at the same time that I think all Muslims are
terrorists who want to kill Americans. Can't have your cake and eat it too,
Ibrahim.
CAIR may be interested in knowing more about their new friend the "Rev." Jim
Sutter, the author of this pdf. He is a somewhat pathetic character who,
according to this website, was ordained by mail-order, is a convicted felon,
claims to have degrees he doesn't have and honors (including the Navy Cross)
that he has not received, and who traffics in libel with relish. A strange
bedfellow for CAIR? Maybe. Maybe not.
Posted by Robert at 1:01 PM |
Lawrence