[lit-ideas] By Word of Mouth (Was: Oral Plesant Story Time with Revd. Geary)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:59:49 EDT

Thanks to McCreery for commentary in "Sung Heroes". I'll try to see  if I can
find an example that would qualify as a counterexample for what he is
looking.

This below are quotes in the OED for 'oral tradition' (under  'oral'). It
seems to me that the PRIMACY of the Spoken Word is presupposed in  MOST MYTHS.
The fact that it is a literate culture that 'retrieves' the myth is
accidental.
I think a proof for your thesis would be to show a myth where the  world is
not spoken of (as you say), but WRITTEN off.

Royce said that History was a book, where characters are written,  and things
like that -- (this is cited by Borges in his "Partial Magic in The  Quixote).
But that would hardly qualify as a graphopoetic myth (Carlyle held a  similar
view).

Don't you hate the expression 'word of mouth'. Where else can a  _word_ come
from?

Cheers,

JL

"oral",

Of, relating to, or designating a tradition, culture, society, etc., in
which the spoken word is the chief form of communication; (of stories, poems,
etc.) delivered or transmitted in this way, esp. from generation to generation.
1628  _BP. J.  HALL_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-h.html#bp-j-hall)
  Olde Relig. XVI. iii. 167 As for  orall Traditions,
what certaintie can there be in them? 1678  _R.  CUDWORTH_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-c4.html#r-cudworth)
  True
Intellect. Syst. Universe I. v. 693  This Notion..was from the first Feigner or
Inventor of it,  propagated all along and conveyed down, by Oral Tradition.
1767
_T.  PERCY_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-p2.html#t-percy)
 Ess. Anc. Minstrels 44 He  [sc. Asser] has however particularly
recorded Alfred's fondness for the  oral Anglo-Saxon poems and songs. 1775  _J.
 ADAIR_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-a.html#j-adair)
Hist. Amer. Indians 11  They..still retain the ancient standard of
speech, conveyed down  by oral tradition from father to son. 1892  _J.  EARLE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-e.html#j-earle)
  Deeds of Beowulf p. xlvi,  Müllenhoff had discovered six different authors,
of which the  first two were oral poets, but the third had a written copy of
the rudimentary  work as it then existed. 1898  _S. A.  BROOKE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-b4.html#s-a-brooke)
  Eng.
Lit. from Beginnings to Norman Conquest  ii. 42 This was the origin of the
early
unhistoric sagas, like  that of Beowulf, and such a saga was the highest form
of the oral literature of  the German tribes. 1929  W. E. LEONARD in K. Malone
 & M. B. Ruud Stud. in Eng. Philol. in Honor of F. Klaeber 1 The intrinsic
nature..of oral or  chanted verse as inevitably emphasizing an organic metrical
pattern. 1953  S. A. BROWN in A. Dundes Mother Wit (1973) 40/1 The Negro  was
contributing..through what we call oral The Negro folk literature. 1988
Classical Q. 38 44  Archilochus' message-stick has nothing to do with writing,
but
is  a relic of the old oral culture in which he and his audience grew up. 1993
 N.Y. Times 14 Sept. C15/2 The task of  preserving Hawaii's less tangible
treasures:..the oral genealogies of its island  families, its hulas and its
myths.

J. L. Speranza, Esq.

Town:

Calle Arenales 2021, Piso 5, St. 8,