[lit-ideas] Bush's timber company

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 03:02:45 EDT

Bush's timber company:

Hi,
Here is some info on that...I'll check that factcheck.org site later  <g>:

But, I DO need some wood.  I DO have a fireplace and I DO need some.  Wonder
how much Bush would sell some to me...<g>

Marlena in Missouri

"Kerry startled Bush by saying that the president is  counted as a small
business for tax purposes because he once earned $84 from a  timber company he
owns.
"I own a timber company?" Bush asked. "That's news to me."  Then he paused
and added, "Need some wood?
That baffling exchange arises from an analysis by the  Annenberg Public
Policy Center's FactCheck.org debunking Bush's claims that  Kerry's plans to
raise
taxes on the richest Americans would increase the tax  burden on 900,000 small
businesses.
The analysis found that the Bush campaign is counting every  rich person who
has even $1 of outside business income as a small business  owner, even if
they have no employees.
The analysis said even Bush qualifies under that definition  because he
reported $84 in income from his part-ownership of a timber enterprise  on his
2001
federal tax return."