[lit-ideas] Bush discusses bin Laden

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:46:06 -0700

The last time Bush spoke protractedly about bin Laden was at a March 2003 news
conference.
Bush was asked then by Kelly Wallace of CNN why he so rarely mentioned bin
Laden, and
whether bin Laden was, in fact, dead or alive.

Bush's answer: "Well, deep in my heart, I know the man is on the run if he's
alive at all.
Who knows if he's hiding in some cave or not? We haven't heard from him in a
long time. And
the idea of focusing on one person is -- really indicates to me people don't
understand the
scope of the mission.

"Terror is bigger than one person. And he's just -- he's a person who's now been
marginalized. His network is -- his host government has been destroyed. He's
the ultimate
parasite who found weakness, exploited it, and met his match. He is -- as I've
mentioned in
my speeches, I do mention the fact that this is a fellow who is willing to
commit youngsters
to their death, and he himself tries to hide -- if, in fact, he's hiding at all.

"So I don't know where he is. You know, I just don't spend that much time on
him, Kelly, to
be honest with you. . . . I truly am not that concerned about him."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/politics/administration/whbriefing/

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com