[lit-ideas] Re: Bum literature

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:36:56 -0500

> Steve Cameron wrote:
>
> 'Ken Kesey...'
>
> That would be Little Tricker the Squirrel Meets Big Double the Bear--?
>
> Robert Paul
> Reed College

I didn't know about that.  Thanks RP.  I'll have to buy me one -- for my
grandchild of course.  Certainly, yes, not for me.  Grandchild.  That's the
ticket.

Mike Geary
Memphis

From Publishers Weekly
Little Tricker must think quickly when the double-hungry bear "comestet
kabooming through the Bottom like a freight druvstet by the Devil himself,
or at least his next hottest hollerer"--and indeed he does, concocting a
scheme that not only outwits the bear but forever puts an end to his
rampages. This tall tale from the Ozarks serves as a fine vehicle for Kesey
( One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest ; Sometimes a Great Notion ), proving
ample enough for his quirky vision and his freewheeling use of language--his
dialogue crackles, his forceful images and metaphors tumble one after
another in an inexorable rush. Moser's watercolors capture the strange,
strong flavor of the tale and provide emphatic, snapshot-like portraits of
its characters. His view of Big Double, for example--dressed in jeans,
T-shirt and wool cap; potbellied, with a twig drooping cigarette-like from
his mouth; and leaning belligerently on a post--leaves no doubt that the
bear is, as Tricker shrewdly calculates, a simple rough-hewn bully with far
more brawn than brains. All ages.
Copyright 1990 Reed Business Information, Inc.