[lit-ideas] "Brains" (Was: Milky Way)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:17:09 EDT

M. Chase quotes from an Ancient author on the 'Milky Way':

>For it was not possible for the sons of Zeus to
>have a share of  the heavenly honors unless one of them sucked on Hera's
>breast. Therefore  they say that Hermes brought Heracles after his birth
>and set him to  Hera's breast, and he sucked.

Interestingly. I guess this relates (or is the reverse of) the  idiomatic
plural of 'brains' to mean 'big brain'. Apparently, 'breasts' was  _dual_ in
Old
English, so the use of the singular must be idiomatic  here?

Cheers,
JL
-----
From the OED
'breast'  [OE. bréost = OFris. briast, OS.  briost, breost, ON. brjóst, (Sw.
bröst, Da.  bryst) neuter, answering to an OTeut. type *breusto(m):
represented in Goth. by brusts fem. pl. (no sing.)
:OTeut. *brust-s consonantal  fem., â??prob. originally inflected as a dualâ??
(Kluge), whence OHG. (MHG.,  mod.Ger.) brust fem., MLG. (MDu., Du.) borst fem.
(with metathesis  of r).
The term is confined to Teutonic, there being no common Indo-Europ.  name for
the breast. As to the form and derivation, see below. OE. éo  became normally
ME. , ee, mod. ee (), and in Sc. and north  dial. breast rimes with priest;
but in Standard Eng., the e  has been shortened before the two consonants; the
spellings breast and  brest run side by side from 16th to 18th c.; in current
usage we spell  breast and pronounce brest.
The difference of vowel in OTeut.  *breust-, *brust- is explained by the fact
that all monosyllabic  consonantal stems had originally shifting stress, with
corresponding ablaut  (*breust-s, *brust-óz); the neuter gender in OE., OS.,
and ON. by  the supposition that *breust-s was orig. inflected as a dual (the
two  breasts) of which the nom. and acc. *breustô- would later become
*breust, bréost, which after the loss of the dual would naturally  be treated
as
neuter pl., as in other known instances. Even in senses 2, 5, the  plural was
usual in OE., as exclusive in Gothic. *Breust- cannot be  connected with
berstan,
brestan to burst: but it may be related to  the OS. verb. brustian to bud, and
be a root-noun from a vb.  *breust-an (see Lexer under brust), a specialized
derivative of  *breut-an (i.e. *breut-stan, *breustan; cf.  *brek-stan,
brestan, f. brek-an). The â??breastsâ?? would thus  be orig. the mammæ or
paps, likened
to â??budsâ?? or â??sproutsâ??. See further  Kluge Beiträge VIII. 510.]
Each of the two soft  protuberances situated on the thorax in females, in
which the milk is secreted  for the nourishment of their young; the mamma; also
the analogous rudimentary  organ of males, the mammilla. Hence, in phrases to
give, have, put  to, the breast; an infant at the breast, past the breast.
(Properly said  of women, but sometimes of the lower animals.)  Also: The front
of
the thorax or chest, the fore-part of the body, lying between  the neck and
the belly. (In OE. usually in the plural, for original dual.) Also: fig. and
transf. The  seat of the affections and emotions; the repository of
consciousness, designs,  and secrets; the heart; hence, the affections, private
thoughts
and  feelings. (Commonly pl. in OE.)

560 A. D.  Beowulf (Z.) 552
"Beado  "Beado broden on breostum  bro golde  g golde .
1000 Ags.  Gosp. John xiii. 25
Th he  hlinode ofer thae  haelendes breostum [Lindisf. G. onufa  breost th. o
 haelendes.

1000 Ags. Gosp. Luke xi.  27
Th  breost [Lindisf. titto, vel breosto] th  thou  sucke.
1000 Sax.  Leechd. I. 182
<NOB   <NOBR sare, & th th breosta.
1000 Cædmon's  Gen. (Gr.) 656
<NOB  th  mod wesan  mod w on breostum.