[lit-ideas] Bloom and "The Dalliance of the Eagles"

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 08:26:05 -0700

I've been reading Harold Bloom's /The Daemon Knows, Literary Greatness and the American Sublime, /published in 2015. Bloom is 83 when he wrote it -- seems like I've been reading Bloom all my life, usually to disagree or at least argue with him, but in this book he is different from what I remember, more open and disarming. His goal is to discuss the twelve American poets he believes represent the American Sublime, not always the best poets he says, but the ones he likes the best, the ones in whom he finds this sublimity. But everything he has been discussing as far as I've read has also been about himself -- not in a triumphalist lecturing sense but as a meek seeker: someone in the shadows watching and listening and especially reading.

On page 33, Bloom writes, "Perhaps Shakespeare helped Johnson avoid madness, a function he has served for me whenever I waver in my own perilous balance."

in 1986 - 1991 he toured the South and Southwest lecturing upon American poetry. As he toured he visited churches, "whatever churches were kind enough to allow me to attend . . ."

"Hearing them discourse, in and out of their divine assemblies, taught me that the American Jesus suffered no crucifixion and experienced no ascension. Instead, he manifested himself only in the forty days he spent with disciples after his resurrection, and for the Mormons, Pentecostalists, and Independent Baptists, he sojourned still in their America, walking and talking with them. because of that, some told me they were already resurrected and would never die, while nearly all affirmed they had heard him speak, and quite a few had seen him."

". . . Karl Marx is irrelevant to many millions of them because, in America, religion is the poetry of the people and not their opiate."

Then moving on to the first poet, Whitman, he writes, "Hopkins loved and feared Whitman, while Yeats rather nastily disliked the American upstart, dismissed in /A Vision/ with weak misunderstanding. Writing to Robert Bridges in 1882, the Jesuit poet remarked: ". . . I always knew in my heart Walt Whitman's mind to be more like my own than any other man's living. As he is a very great scoundrel this is not a pleasant confession. And this makes me the more desirous to read him and the more determined that I will not."

Bloom quotes Whitman's poem "The Dalliance of Eagles" saying of it, "An astonishing vision, in just ninety words or so; I prefer this to Gerard Manly Hopkin's /The Windover /and William Butler Yeats' /Leda and the Swan . . ."

//The Dalliance of the Eagles /by Walt Whitman

Skirting the river road, (my forenoon walk, my rest,)
Skyward in air a sudden muffled sound, the dalliance of the eagles,
The rushing amorous contact high in space together,
The clinching interlocking claws, a living, fierce, gyrating wheel
Four beating wings, two beaks, a swirling mass tight grappling,
In tumbling turning clustering loops, straight downward falling,
Till o'er the river pois'd, the twain yet one, a moment's lull,
A motionless still balance in the air, then parting, talons loosing
Upward again on slow-firm pinions slanting, their separate diverse flight,
She hers, he his, pursuing.