[lit-ideas] Black Jack Gum ... What happened to it?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 01:13:01 EDT

J. M. Geary answers a questionnaire:

> Count all the ones that you remember,
>not the ones you were told about!
>"Black Jack" chewing  gum -- No.

>Blackjack chewing gum might not have been sold down
>here [in Tennessee].  Don't  [even] remember [remembering]
>the name ["Black Jack"] anyway.

From

_http://www.oldtimecandy.com/black-jack-gum.htm_
(http://www.oldtimecandy.com/black-jack-gum.htm)

It was John Adams who began to  experiment with flavorings, beginning with
sarsaparilla.
In 1884, Adams adding a licorice  flavouring to the gum and called his
invention
"Black  Jack,"
-- the first flavoured gum in the  United States of America.  It was an
instant success -- in the United  States of America [including Tennessee?]
"Black Jack" Gum sold well into the  1970s, when production was halted
because of slow sales.
We get e-mails just about every day  asking about "Black Jack". We are just
as disappointed as our customers  and would like to see Adams revive this
well-known ever-popular throughout  the States brand.
We encourage you to contact Adams gum  to let them know your desire to
purchase your old time favorite, "Black  Jack Gum". Call Consumer Affairs at
1-800-524-2854
weekdays between 9:00 a. m. and 5:00 p.  m. EST. If it comes back we will
send a message to our customers through  our e-mail newsletter.
If not, we  won't.