[lit-ideas] "Better with your socks off" (Was: Naked Thoughts of a Spartan

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:05:29 EDT

"The dress of a woman of Lhasa,
In its place,
Is an invisible element  of that place
Made visible."

quotes Geary from W. Stevens. This reminds me of the erotics of dressing.
While I agree that dressing and undressing inhabitants of Lhasa can be _very_
erotic, I am also *reminded* of Sir Noel Coward's adage:

        "Better with your socks  off"

(from his song "Time and again" -- The lyrics to this wonderful song don't
seem to be online, and I should quote them some other time).

I submit that _dressing_, in the sexual sense of the word (cf.  'undressing')
has all to do with eroticism and sex, but hardly with _love_ which  cannot be
_made_ with your socks on.

Cheers,

JL