[lit-ideas] Re: "Beilaufig gesprochen: Die Gegenstande sind farblos" (Wittgenstein, TLP 2.0232)

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 01:28:58 -0500

> For if a flower is, say, blue (meaning "non-blue", in Krueger's and
Geary's
> rewrite), why would we say that 'non-blue' is _not_ a colour?

Indeed why.  I can't speak for JK, but I didn't say 'non-blue' is not a
colour or even not a color.  I said that the blue flower was, in fact, every
color but blue.  The colors we ascribe to things are actually the colors
they are not.  The blue wave-lengths are reflected to our eyes because there
is nothing blue in the flower to absorb them.  The flower is blueless or,
what I term, 'colorless'.

Clear as mud,
Mike Geary