[lit-ideas] Begin the begets

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:21:57 -0400

I checked good old Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab

It seems Arabs are simply people who descended from Sem, or Shem, son of Noah,
exactly the same progenitor of the Jews.  Arabs and Jews, among others, are all
Semites, although anti-Semitic is used to refer only to Jews (anti-Hamitic,
i.e. sons of Ham, went out in the 1960's).  Hebrew and Arabic are in the
Semitic family of languages, closely related.  They're all descended from
Abraham in a long series of begets too confusing to attempt to keep straight.
Palestinians are simply Semites, Arabs (Semites who speak Arabic) who lived in
Palestine.

It's clear to me now the Jews in rejecting the Palestinians after themselves
being rejected by the Europeans, were really rejecting themselves and their
Semitism, setting themselves apart from their Semitic cousins the Arabs.  In
other words, the Jews are anti-Semitic.  I understand now why Omar used the
word cousin when he said if you threw your cousin out of his house.  If this
weren't so tragic, it would be a comedy of errors.  Do people realize just what
it is they're fighting about?