[lit-ideas] "Barbarian" as descriptive term: the cases for and against

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:17:53 EDT

R. Paul quotes form the Intermediate Liddell-Scott:

"so the Hebrews called the rest of mankind  Gentiles."

Mm. Should like to see the Hebrew for that. "Gentiles"  sounds to me pretty
much a "Latinate" Expression. Being no Hebrew, It would be  hard for me to test
the 'value-orientedness' we are discussing with R.  Paul.

So I would axe any Hebrew on the list whether she  perceives (or he
perceives) any 'derogation' behind 'Gentile'.

Cheers,

JL