[lit-ideas] Re: Ariskant

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:54:57 +0100 (BST)

________________________________
 From: "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx>

In a message dated 6/14/2012 4:17:57 P.M. UTC-02, donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
Popper's view that Aristotle is not in the same league as Plato

I'm not surprised this was Popper's view, a Hegelian at heart ("Open
Society and its Enemies"). The link being indeed:

Aristotle ---> Kant

Plato --------> Hegel>

There may be a Plato/Hegel link but (a) not sure I see an Aristotle/Kant link;
(b) Popper is very much a Kantian and an anti-Hegelian (indeed Popper's
philosophy may be understood as an updated Kantianism - one that takes into
account Einstein, Darwin and Frege and the implication that 'all knowledge is
conjectural'; and many of Popper's key philosophical arguments in the theory of
knowledge are Kantian).

Grice said that philosophers (and people in general) should grow an
interest for IMPORTANT philosophers, not "minor figures" like "Witters,
Bosanquet, or Wollaston". He goes on to list his favourite philosopher as
being
alternatively Ariskant, or Kantotle (cfr. Plathegel, Heglato).

And so on.

Cheers,

Speranza

"Plato, they say, could stick it away;Half a crate of whiskey [sic] every
day. Aristotle, Aristotle was a b*gger for the bottle."