[lit-ideas] Re: Are all logical possibilities a result of some kind of logica...

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 07:35:20 EDT

In a message dated 4/29/2009 7:21:38 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
And, if so, is this  right or wrong?
And, if not, how do we explain away certain statements  therein?

Personally, I work with a square:

The  square of opposition as applied to  modalities:

A  (NEC)               E (not nec)

I  (POSS)               O (IMPOSS)

So, nec. and poss. are _reciprocal_. We _can_ say one is a  result of the
other. In fact, they _are_ interdefinable.
People _think_ that  the concept of 'necessity' is more _serious_ than the
concept of _possibility_,  but you cannot have one without the other.
As for the statements that derive  from this, further illustration welcome.

JLS

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!