[lit-ideas] Re: Another song with a past

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 15:37:45 -0700 (PDT)

I guess I could have made the effort to look up his age.  You're right, he
looks 16 the way Steve McQueen looks like a teenager in The Blob, the original
one from the 50's.  I heard one of those TNT hosts say before the movie
that Steve McQueen was 26 when they shot the film.  Sure enough, when watching
the movie, he is no teenager.  I'll bet every teenager out there was thinking,
I'd sure like to look like that when I'm 26.

As far as the fashion, that deserves a now now.  It's not like the fashions of
today are going to look so wonderful in 50 years.  Actually, I read that
fashions today change not by the season, but every two weeks, literally, to
stimulate consumption.  It's funny that those suits were in 1964.  Four years
later, things were very different.  Here's Steppenwolf, Born to be Wild, in
1969.  The clothes almost seem contemporary.  The two weeks must have starting
going exponential in 1964.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UWRypqz5-o&feature=related

It seems rather quiet on the list.  People must still be on vacation, lying
around on beaches.  So, how are those shark infested waters?  Cold, I'll bet.
What's everybody wearing for Halloween?  I'm going as Steppenwolf.  The good
old days, when even rock group names were a literary allusion.  Actually, I'll
go as Herman Hesse.  Today even the History Channel is dumbing down, Pawn Stars
and nonsense like that.  Chris, what are you going as for Halloween?  You can't
go as Herman Hesse, because I'm going as Herman Hesse.  The only gardener I
know is Vita Sackville West.  Maybe you can go as her.  Or as her evil twin,
Rita Sackville West...

Andy