[lit-ideas] Re: Another Lit-Ideas idea

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 00:17:57 +0900

Nowadays, "the world's richest country" needs to be taken with a grain
of salt. On the one hand, I recall hearing from an economist who works
for the American Chamber in Hong Kong, that as of 2000, the combined
GDPs of the countries in Europe, East Asia and North America
respectively were roughly equal in size. The days when the USA was the
undisputed biggest economy in the world are over.

Also, turning to savings rates and national debt, the US looks more
and more like the profligate neighbor maxing out her credit cards to
support a way of life beyond her means. Remember Dickens: Something
along the lines of, debt 20 shillings, income 21 is Heaven. Debt 20
shillings, income 19 is Hell....

It doesn't look like our kids will enjoy the Heaven we did.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.