[lit-ideas] Re: Andromeda rushing our way

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 21:12:55 -0600

To quote that perfect movie, as Jeff Goldbloom says in /Jurassic Park/,

 "Life will find a way."

We keep trying to send ourselves into space somewhere else, trying to expand homo sapiens into planets where we have never had a home. Instead, we should try to send smaller bits of life toward planets that don't have any, spreading the biology rather than the species. Humans may not hope for immortality, but given enough places, life may live as long as the universe, at least, each new place creating just what it needs there to keep that part spinning until life can spin off somewhere else. Species immortality may be an impossible dream, but life's immortality makes the trip at least an interesting one. We might have enough time for this, at least.

Lawrence Helm wrote:

Andromeda is rushing toward us

Like an assassin's bullet

And will wrench into fragments

Any thoughts of how it used to be

On the roller coaster, say, by the sea

Looking out at waves coming in

At only a fraction of the speed.

We have been warned by

Pestering meteors, comets,

And our pock-marked moon,

But looking out we can't see

Them with our naked eye,

The pathological damage,

And so believe in a peace

That in our time shall prevail

A wonderful mystical state,

And though it has never been

It is our belief -- even though

Someone this very instant is planting

An IED for our unsuspecting feet:

And will spin them off in flashes of light.

No virus found in this message.