[lit-ideas] "An Help Meet" for Adam -- Was his rib

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:27:32 EDT

We are discussing the second chapter of the first book of Genesis

            "It is not good that the man should
            be alone. I will make him an help meet
            for him."
            And out of the ground the Lord formed
            EVERY BEAST of the field.
            But for Adam there was still not
            found an help meet for him.

Geary wonders:

I do find puzzling is that He created a WOMAN to  help him -- a guy. What was
He thinking? There [was nothing] to clean -- this was Paradise after all,
what the hell did Adam need  help with?

In my exegesis, I would propose that it was the manure  from "every beast on
the field".

But here the complication is that this possibly implies  that God was _black_
if not female (as McCreery quotes).

For, I read in the definition of 'manure', "applied to  fertilize soil".

So I for one (in Adam's place) would take each piece of  manure -- from oxen,
etc. -- as a 'blessing' from God to 'fertilize  soil'.

>What has he [God] thinking?

Geary  asks.

Well, there are at least two options:

1. He thought that Adam would find "an help-meet" in one  of those beasts --
cfr. 'the Argentine gaucho called Bruno'. Beasts have proven  (especially
oxen) very serviceable to Mankind.

2. He thought that 'every field on the field' would in  time produce vast
quantities of manure -- in the _garden_ of Eden, and that  perhaps this will
convince Adam that 'an help meet' with the cleaning -- or even  perhaps feeding
the chicken and the geese -- would not be a bad  idea.

Little did THEY know that SHE would first and foremost be  interested in
picking apples.

Cheers,

JL